Re: Advice-totally off topic

Heavy stuff Andrea. My first wife and I were both Depression babies-- we grew up in houses where non-kin strangers often sat across from us at the dinner table. My mother must have fed half the hobos who streamed through SoCal and Virginia's parents set up beds in their garage so drifting families had a place to camp while they looked for work.

When half of Virginia's and my kids were teenage, we took in two other teenagers--a sister and brother whose ages and sexes matched our two oldest. They were not foster kids, they were just middle-class kids trying to get away from abusive, alcoholic parents. So we gave them a place to stay and food to eat. They were with us for about two years, then the girl went away to college and the boy and our son went to Colorado to try their hands at being ski bums.

It was probably easier for us because two our kids matched them in ages and they all seemed to like one another. I can't imagine what it would have been like if they had been damaged goods.