Re: No Snow

You must have had snow already, and got the 4 inches on top??  Can't
imagine needing a snow plow with only 4 inches.  We got 2-3 inches here,  and I'm
sure the city, nor any individuals even HAVE a snow plow.  We have  a small
snow shovel that we use for shoveling  mulch, brought it from
Germany....but didn't need that either for  the snow we got.  First snow ever that early,
and only the 6th time in  history that it snowed in Dec.  In my 20 years
here in Houston, it's only  the second time for any measurable snow.
  Very depressing to look out in the garden.  The cold and snow  came as a
total surprise, so not much got protected.  Ponds seem fine, no  ice on the
large ones. Turtles and fish fine, so far.   Lost a lot of  my succulent
type plants that I wasn't able to cover.  Got most of the  Plumerias under
cover, except two huge ones that I found yesterday.   They seem okay (trunk and
roots) so far...but from past experience, the damage  usually doesn't show
up until later.  Bromeliads seem to have fared  well. Not sure if it was the
insulation from the snow that helped protect  them.   Took in all the
Orchids, or covered those I could not.   Some that were grown higher up in the
trees are still there...not sure how  bad they got hit.  Very depressing to see
frost damaged plants....haven't  had that in years and years.  So, what
hurricane Ike didn't take out, the  freeze this winter might......hope not.  If
I can resist going out and  pruning until spring, I'm sure the plants in
the ground will bounce back and be  fine....not sure about the others.   These
past several years of not  having any cold weather to speak of really
spoiled us plant people down  here.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 12/9/2009 9:00:56 AM Central Standard Time,