Re: Freezing rain
  • Subject: Re: Freezing rain
  • From: aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:40:16 EST

Same thing here, Jim. After a near-balmy  60 degrees earlier in the week, we
have had temperatures in the teens for the last three nights and not above
freezing during the day.  This morning it was  17 degrees when we got up,and
the sun was out.  By the time we got out of early church, the sun was gone
and the temperature had risen to 25.   The freezing rain began about noon
promises to go on for a while.  Bummer!  We had tickets to a concert by the
Westchester Chorale, a very fine singing group, this afternoon, but I think
be foolish to go out in this.  The thermometer says 33, but I see icicles
on the trees and shrubs.
The difference in freezing rain and sleet is that sleet falls in frozen
pellets like
hail while freezing rain falls as a liquid and freezes on whatever it
making a coating of ice and icicles.  Sleet is very treacherous underfoot,
does not do the damage that freezing rain can cause. Neither one is nice -
is much easier to handle. Be careful when you go out.
In a message dated 12/13/2009 2:13:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,