Re: New or Tried and True?
  • Subject: Re: New or Tried and True?
  • From: Pam Evans <gardenqueen@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 17:27:04 -0600

LOL - agreed Auralie.  I feel no urge to travel.  Read all about the
exciting foreign captials & hot spots on the globe and find it fascinating.
But not fascinating enough to leave hearth & home.  And I'm only 3rd
generation American except for the PA Dutch branch of one
great-grandmother.  If that's considered uncultured, so be it.

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 5:10 PM, <Aplfgcnys@aol.com> wrote:

> I totally agree, Pam. A trip to the Big Bend in 2000 gave us the most
> spectacular displays of bluebonnets and other wildflowers ever.  But
> this friend is too snooty for such - her travels are to Europe - she
> never travels in this country. She was signed up for a round-the-world
> cruise once, but fell ill and had to cancel.  Otherwise a trip up the Nile
> to the pyramids is her most exotic.  I guess I am uncultured, but I have
> never felt the need to travel abroad - too many great things to see here
> in my own country.  But then my roots in this country go back several
> hundred years longer than hers.
> In a message dated 12/18/2010 5:50:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> gardenqueen@gmail.com writes:
> Too bad your friend hasn't seen the oceans of bluebonnets in Texas in the
> springtime.  Hardly likely she'd call that display "garbage".
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 4:37 PM, <Aplfgcnys@aol.com> wrote:
> > I may be a stick-in-the-mud, but I always go for the tried and true.
> > If a new plant looks especially attractive, I watch it for a few years
> > before I try it, but generally I stick with what I know will work.  What
> > annoys me is when I can't find an old established variety because it
> > has been crowded out by something new.
> > I have a great love of wildflowers, and I have a good friend who is also
> > a good grower, but she says she will not grow anything that has not
> > been improved by human development - she calls wildflowers garbage.
> > I think she is blinding herself to so much beauty with this attitude.
> > Sure, development takes placde and many things are improved, but
> > that doesn't mean that the the things we had were not worthwhile.
> > Just my rant on the topic.
> > APL

Pam Evans
Kemp TX