Re: It's a girl!
  • Subject: Re: It's a girl!
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:15:26 EST

I'm sure they will adapt.  I've introduced numerous cats into my household
with other cats, and it sometimes takes a few days or weeks, but they have
never failed to adjust. One old neutered male just adopted an introduced
of kittens and mothered them, but when the male kitten grew up the old cat
became somewhat hostile. The young cat was really devastated.
We are coping with a situation similar to yours.  A small female cat just
showed up at our door some weeks ago.  At first she was very nervous and
wouldn't let us get near her, but in a short while would come to me when I
showed her dry food in my hand.  It soon appeared that she really loves
to be petted - but still won't let Chet get near her. A neighbor told us
that she
used to belong to a family down the private road near us.  We know that the
father in that family had a terrible accident and has been in the hospital
for a
good while, so maybe they just couldn't cope with the cat and ran her off.
seems so nervous that I can believe she had been abused.  I'm sure she is
spayed - she's not young, but there are no signs that she ever had kittens.
I'm also sure she is housebroken, because we have been shutting her into
the garage at night, and when I open the door in the morning she makes a
dash for a soft place behind a woodpile.  She really lives here now - is
all day and night.  I think she wants to come in the house, but I can't let
in with my two until I have her checked by the vet. Talked to the vet
and she gave tips about how to capture her.  We'll take her in for overnight
observation, and if she's in good health she'll join the family.  It just
me so sad that this nice animal wants so badly to be part of a family, and
I have to keep her outside. Also, it's getting so cold at night that I
about her. At least she is inside the garage at night and that's better than
outside with all the predators, etc.
I'm sure your cats will adjust.  They're all amazing creatures.
In a message dated 12/21/2010 12:38:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,