Re: Hydrange macrophylla 'Bailmer' aka Endless Summer

Re> I went to the booth and ask about H. 'Bailmer' & the representatives
didn't know anything about this plant. They refer to it as Endless
Summer. This confuses me as I picked up an informational sheet on this
plant which is labeled Endless Summer (Tm) Hydrangea, (2nd line)
Hydrangea macrophylla, 'Bailmer' PPAF. <<

Ceres,
You said you were confused, and didn't mention any resolution. So I'm
making an attempt at a brief explanation. Not for you, because you are
already aware of this, but some of our members may not be. If you have
more to add, or a correction to the way I understand it, I would be
interested.

The person or company that introduces a new plant gets to name it. The
person responsible for this Hydrangea named it 'Bailmer'. However, just
how marketable is 'Bailmer' to the general public? Not a very inviting
name. So the company that agrees to market the plant selects a new name,
in this case 'Endless Summer'. They sometimes pay a hefty price to the
hybridizer for this and often for exclusive rights and want to protect
their investment, so they trademark (TM) the name. The person or company
that introduces it has also made an effort to protect ownership of the
origin of the plant, so they apply for a patent. (PPAF= Plant Patent
Applied For). Thus the valid botanical name for this plant is Hydrangea
'Bailmer'(PPAF) and the commercial botanical plant name is Hydrangea
'Endless Summer'(TM). I would suppose that the reason 'Bailmer' was
listed on the second line in the plant info is because the info sheet
was made up by the company selling the shrub. To them, the commercial
name is more important. 'Bailmer' is just it's birth name to them. They
have now christened it by another name.

Kitty