Re: Hydrange macrophylla 'Bailmer' aka Endless Summer

Ceres,
Don't know why I didn't notice that, but you are right.  In this case the
hybridizer and the marketer are one and the same.  They are applying Bail
to the front of the name of their introductions.  But they also know it
will market better as Endless Summer.  Most likely the 'mer' in Bailmer is
from the tail end of the TMd name.

Other examples, botanical, commercial:
Malus 'Amertrizam', Malus 'American Triumph'
Malus 'Branzam', Malus 'Brandywine'
Malus 'Camzam', Malus 'Camelot'
Malus 'Canterzam', Malus 'Canterbury'
Malus 'Chrishozam', Malus 'Christmas Holly'
Malus 'Excazam', Malus 'Excalibur'
Malus 'Hamzam, Malus 'Hamlet'
Lots of 'zam's - they go on and on
Syringa vulgaris 'Monroe' P.P., Syringa vulgaris 'Blue Skies'
Syzygium paniculatum 'Nanum', Syzygium paniculatum 'Teenie Geenie'
Taxodium distichum 'Mickelson', Taxodium distichum 'Shawnee Brave'
Taxus cuspicata 'Monloo' PPAF, Taxus cuspicata 'Emerald Spreader'
Taxus media 'Ershzam', Taxus media 'Erie Shores' there's the zam people
again!
Ternstroemia gymnanthera 'Grewad', Ternstroemia gymnanthera 'Copper Crown'
Ternstroemia gymnanthera 'Grevan', Ternstroemia gymnanthera 'Jade Tiara'
Ternstroemia gymnanthera 'Greyou', Ternstroemia gymnanthera 'Sovereign'
Abelia x grandiflora 'Conti' P.P. 8472, Abelia x grandiflora 'Confetti'
Acer campestre 'Evelyn' PP4392, Acer campestre 'Queen Elizabeth'
Acer freemanii 'Celzam' P.P. 7279, Acer freemanii 'Celebration' (Zam!)
Acer freemanii 'DTR 102' P.P. 7655, Acer freemanii 'Autumn Fantasy'
Acer ginnala 'Mondy', Acer ginnala 'Red Rhapsody'
Berberis 'Tara', Berberis 'Emerald Carousel'

Anyway, you get the idea.  I didn't type in all the PP#s (Plant Patent
Numbers) or PPAFs, and not all of them show that a patent was applied for.
In some cases like the Berberis, my guess might be that since Tara is a
nice enough name, perhaps it didn't do as well as expected on a first
introduction or the name was too close to another, so they gave it another
name on its next outing.

One last note.  I assumed you were aware of this and didn't want to offend
you by explaining it.  I think the subject was hinted at once before when
we talked about the name of  Lilium 'Haley's Comet' being possibly another
name for L.'Shaherezade".  Also Syringa 'Blue Skies' came up in a
discussion some time back.  When the marketer stops carrying the TMd name,
sometimes it is hard to find any trace of the plant you're trying to track
down.  Can be very difficult unless you know its real name.

Kitty