Re: renaming plants

Marge wrote:
>>...new gardeners can only absorb a certain amount...learning a botanical
name is no more difficult than learning a
common name if you are just exposed to it enough. I don't know why
we in the US have to be convinced that something requires no effort
in order to not be scared away from it<<

I didn't begin gardening until I was nearly 40 and the magazine that got me
started was Horticulture which often discusses plants that have no common
name.  Since I had no background whatsoever and no friends or family even
remotely interested in the subject, I took university classes.  So I pretty
much learned from the get go to use botanical names.  Even on my beginners
level, Rudbeckia seemed easy enough rather than Black-Eyed Susan.