Re: gardenchat Water/drought

that's really interesting, noreen. i wonder how they would compute the toll of new landscapes if they took lawns out of the equation.

At 04:38 PM 2/18/03 -0500, you wrote:
Seems many places have gotten much needed moisture in past months, but it
seems that parts of Colorado are worse off than most.  We've had serious
droughts here in parts of Texas, with serious water rationing, fines, etc.
but never to this point.

Aurora, Colorado's 3rd-largest city, will prohibit planting gardens,
trees, lawns and flower beds as of May 3 to preserve dwindling water
supplies. Last year, as a drought unfolded, Aurora took a leading role in
Colorado in restricting water use, asking for mandatory restrictions and
tough water surcharges weeks before other cities, such as Denver, did. "We
may allow some outside watering this summer, but we feel certain we won't
have enough water to sustain new landscapes," said city spokeswoman Melissa
Elliot.
Source: Rocky Mountain News.

Noreen
zone 9