Re: birds and other critters

The lake here is 315 acres, and lots of migratory waterfowl stop here. I've
seen ruddy duck, buffleheads, goldeneyes, mergansers and cormorants, among
others, but the most exciting sighting was a flock of loons. I counted 38 of
them! There are also great blue and green herons and kingfishers. I
occasionally see rose-breasted grosbeaks at my feeder, and just once, an
indigo bunting. I've also seen quite a few eastern bluebirds in NE PA, but
not at this elevation. There are bald eagles in the area, too. Auralie, have
you ever heard that there are peregrines nesting on the George Washington
Bridge? I think they live quite well on the pigeons in NYC.

There is a rapidly growing population of resident Canadas here, and the
Animal Control officer finds as many nests as he can in the spring and
shakes the eggs vigorously, then puts them back. It prevents the parents
from laying more eggs to replace broken or stolen ones. Unfortunately, he
misses more than he finds. It wouldn't be so bad if I only had to watch my
step in the yard, but my dog has goose poop radar, and she's on it like
white on rice. Groshem as they never