Re: birds, daylilies and snow

Well, Chris, living so close to water you are lucky to be able to see
all those birds.  Loons!  Goodness...I've never seen a loon.

Your drive is longer than mine!  Glad you found a plow to come help
you out with it...I have been digging out for 2 solid days and
haven't made it yet and I'm only digging about 150 feet!  I shudder
to think of trying to dig out of 850' of drive!  Need my own tractor
with plow attachment for that!  My poor snowblower does not like this
snow as it is higher than it is and the road crew left a lovely 3' x
4' packed berm at the bottom of the drive...so it's been shovel
time...

I haven't written about sun perennials much because I have so little
sun, but there are other writers on Suite101.com who write about
plants for sun.

Check out Carol Wallace's 'Virtually Gardening' topic; she's an
excellent writer who has written about all sorts of plants:

http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/virtually_gardening

Or Jojo's topic, which is 'Perennials' - she's written about a lot of
plants; many for sun:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/701/18480

And, if you plug the words 'perennials' and 'sun' into Google's
to check out.

Personally, I think it's nice to juxtapose the strap-like foliage of
daylilies with foliage of other shapes - bold, round, etc. or even
finer grassy like foliage.  The flowers are fleeting, but the foliage
stays in the border all season.

My advice, FWIW, is to pick two to four plants that you like with
your daylilies - and that you grow.  It is much easier to write about
plants that you know personally and the article will end up being
more useful for your readers.  Tell them why you like the plants,
describe the plants (give both pros and cons - if there are any) and
provide some tips on growing them (USDA zones, soil, water needs,
deadheading, division, from seed, etc.).

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Chris <chris@widom-assoc.com>
>
> Marge and all,
>
> We have the same birds as you., except maybe chimney swifts,
red-eyed
> verio, rose breasted grosbeak  and turkey vultures.  I see the red
> winged blackbirds in fields nearby, but not in my back yard.  Last
year
> I got to see an oriole's nest at school for the first time.  I have
yet
> to see a blue bird!  Living on the water, we get all the water foul
as
> well- loons, great blue herons, little blue herons, great and snowy
> egrets, black crowned night herons, swans, geese, scaups,
buffleheads,
> mergansers, mallards, sandpipers, terns,  plovers, kingfishers, and
> osprey (nearby).  I'm not really a birder, so I'd don't know how to
tell
> all the different gulls ,for instance, apart!!!  I'm so lucky to
have
> all this just outside my backdoor!!!
>
> We have an 850' driveway, so yesterday (late afternoon) I waded in
knee
> deep snow with the snow still coming down, to the road and flagged
down
> a snow plow!  We live on a neck of land jutting out into the Long
Island