Re: Re: squirrels

All mine are grey squirrels (except the flying squirrels, who are a
lovely tannish color - now, there's a cute animal), but I have seen
black ones in Takoma Park (just outside the DC line).  Now, I know I
once read something about squirrel colors...hmmm...wonder where that
was?

Well, I did not find what I thought I had, but it appears that Fox
squirrels (Sciurus niger) can be black as well as looking very like
the Eastern Grey Squirrel - Sciurus carolinensis, only larger and
they can also be a reddish color.

Both these range throughout the eastern and mid-western parts of N.
America.  There are 5 subspecies of eastern grey squirrels, S.
carolinensis carolinensis is the subspecies found in most of the
south from northern Florida, to North Carolina, west to Missouri, and
eastern Texas.

Pine squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) are found throughout much of
Canada and Alaska. Their range extends through the Rocky Mountains
and the Northeast south to Virginia. They are one of the smallest
tree squirrels in their range. Usually reddish-brown to greyish-red
backs, with a white or greyish-white belly, and a black lateral line
running down their sides.

Western Grey Squirrels (Sciurus griseus) AKA California Grey
Squirrels are the only large grey tree squirrel on the Western Coast
of the US, found along the coast from Washington to California.  They
look much like the eastern grey squirrel as far as I can see, with
maybe more reddish brown on their backs.

Abert squirrels (Sciurus aberti) are only found in mountain regions
of North America. In the US their range extends from extreme
south-central Wyoming to New Mexico and Arizona. There are six
subspecies . Abert squirrels are limited to Ponderosa pine forests;
have tufted ears and can vary in color, usually grey, but the can be
black.

So...more than you wanted to know about squirrels;-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@earthlink.net>
>
> A slight change of topic here, but....
> Growing up in Chicago and Fort Wayne, all I ever saw were
golden/reddish