Re: new purchases

What a lovely list, Kitty...

Well, I grow a few of them...FWIW...

> Asarum shuttleworthii (Hexastylis)

A beautiful form, spreads slowly; give it nice, organic soil that
does not dry out (but good drainage) and watch for slugs.

> Brunnera mac. b'Variegata',  SIBERIAN BUGLOSS

Do not have this one - it will not grow here as it loathes hot, humid
days and nights, but do have 'Langtrees' and 'Jack Frost' .Key to
keeping these silver leaf forms happy, I have been told by Tony
Avent, is to make sure the soil never, never dries out...and give
them shade, particularly from the afternoon sun; so far, seems to be
working.  'Variegata' is so lovely..and I really, really want it, but
forewarned is forearmed and I don't want to get it to watch it fade

> Calycanthus floridus, CAROLINA ALSPICE

A suckering shrub that blooms in a surprising amount of shade and
puts up with a surprising amount of neglect.  Scent varies
considerably; mine has little scent and I think it was Dirr who said
you really need to buy in bloom so you can see if the plant has a
scent (my Mom gave me a start over 20 year ago, so that's what I
have).  Most interesting and odd flowers.  Put it close to a path so
the flowers can be seen at close range; they are not really showy
from a distance.

> Cyclamen purpurescens

A true woodlander.  Grew some from seed and, since (of course) I did
not separate the tubers in their seedpots when I should have, just
planted the two pot fulls out in the woodland garden where they
bloomed their little heads off all season last year.  Lovely little
things.  Give it good woodland (leaf mold) soil, good drainage, but
does not go dormant so does not want to be dry.

> Cyclamen coum b'Christmas Tree',

This is a nice leaf form - C. hederifolium also comes with this leaf
pattern.  While Cyclamen want the sharpest drainage you can provide,
don't let them get dust dry, especially if your tuber is tiny.  I
made this mistake once and lost some very nice silver leaf forms.
They do well planted under deciduous shrubs and trees who will take
the lion's share of water in summer while they are dormant.

> Indigofera kirilowii

A very attractive little shrub - or maybe I shouldn't say little as
mine is getting too big for where I have it.  Mine grows in one of my
raised beds in the paved garden where it gets sun early in the day.
Took it a couple of years to decide it was going to be over 3' tall,
by gum!  I give it a haircut to keep it in bounds, but really ought
to move it.  Very attractive pink flowers and nice foliage.  I think
I read that it will sucker, but have not seen much of this behavior
so far.

> Paeonia japonica, WHITE-FRUITED PEONY

My Paeonia japonica has red fruit, but yours is probably much the
same.  I had put up these images to show someone else, but you might
be interested:  http://mtalt.hort.net/paeonia/

Mine makes a single white flower that does not last too long,
followed in early autumn by most interesting seedpods.  The images
show the plant after 3 years in the garden - it was a single stem
when I got it from Asiatica Nursery.  I particularly like the stem
color and the reddish stem bracts.  I grow this in a foot of rotted
woodchips over native clay in my woodland garden that gets dappled
shade with a few rays of late sun...seems to be happy if I can keep
the hardy begonias from swallowing it.  It is a woodland peony; not
for full sun.  Give it a nice lot of leaf mold worked into the soil
and good drainage.

> Sanguinaria canadensis b'Multiplex', DOUBLE BLOODROOT

This is a lovely plant.  I managed to kill one a few years ago and
was given another last year which the durn squirrels excavated and
left on top of the soil during the height of our summer drought.  I
think I found it in time as I replanted and it put up a small leaf.
I hope it will recover and reappear; the flower is so lovely and
lasts longer than the single as it is infertile.  I have read that
some folks have had them suddenly disappear after some years in the
garden and others have the growing like mad.  My take is that it is
not as tough as the native single bloodroot and needs a bit more
careful siting and attention to watering and soil, etc.

> Viburnum sargentii b'Onondaga',

Don't have this...will be interested to hear your report as it's been
on my 'get' list for a while.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :