banana bloom ?

I help to take care of the plants around an indoor pool at the YMCA here in
Weatherford.  We have 3 banana plants and one is starting to bloom.  Should
I cut it off the bloom to keep the plant from dying or just let it go ahead
and try to make bananas?  The last time one of the bananas tried to make a
banana, the fruit got to heavy and bent the stem so that the fruit withered
I want the plant more than I want the fruit and thought I had read somewhere
that the mother plant will die after producing the fruit.   Will it die
Thanks for any help you can give.
zone 6b