Re: snow blowers was:birds and other critters now NE PA

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] snow blowers was:birds and other critters now NE PA
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:53:58 -0500

> From: Maria Olshin <marolsh@ptd.net>
> Now to get ice melt on it. I've been known to use wood ashes when I
run out
> of the other. It works if it's sunny, but what a mess it makes! The
> blower is a great idea, and I have an "Alaska Sleeping Bag Company,
rated to
> 40 below" parka for when it gets really cold. It's not a pretty
sight. ;+)

Glad to find you that plow made it; been worrying about you stuck
there.  Shoveling is NOT good with bad backs.

About snow blowers...I find the one I have requires a LOT of strength
to operate...so, if you opt for one, you might want to try to run it
before you buy it.  It sure moves snow a heck of a lot faster than I
can shovel it, but it does not take a lot less energy and muscle to
do that, plus, it requires massive amounts of twiggling with; has
more levers and stuff to turn than I really think is needed so keep
that in mind, too.  Mine was a gift (bless the kid's hearts) and I
will be forever grateful for it, but it is not an easy piece of
machinery to operate IMO...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :