advice to new hibiscus growers

You being the hibiscus king I wonder if you would tell me if I advised a
young couple right.  They bought a 4-5 inch cutting of a hibiscus in Hawaii
recently and wanted to know what to do with it.  It had paint on one end and
I guessed that must be the top to show the color of bloom.  I told them to
put the other end in potting soil about 2-3 inches down then cover the pot
with a plastic bag.  I told them to put chopsticks in the soil to keep the
plant from touching the sides of the bag and keep it moist but not to open
the bag but once every week to 10 days.
Would you have anything different to add to this advice.  They are very
young and new gardeners.