From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Kitty
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 8:45 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: Re: [CHAT] need a small tree/standard

Theresa,
Eastern Redbud, Cercis canadensis is beautiful; I have several, but they
aren't going to fit your criteria. I was thinking about Halesia UConn
Wedding Bells, but it, too, is a small TREE. When You say you want an
ultimate height of "never get's more than 8-10 feet high and 4 ft or so
across" you're talking about a standardized SHRUB, not a tree. How do
Magnolias do in your area? Or maybe one of the weeping trees. And how
about maintennce - do you mind working at it to keep it that height? I
recall seeing some topiary done of larger trees. The man had used a
Scots Pine and pruned it into a 10 foot mushroom. You could stand under
the thick green mushroom cap. I don't know how tall David's Arbutus
unedo gets; maybe it would qualify. Hibiscus moscheutos, Rose of Sharon
might work. I've seen some lovely blue standards recently.

Kitty