From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of pdickson
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 4:46 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Oklahoma Garden Festival

I wanted to tell you all about getting to hear Derek Fell speak today at
the garden festival.  He  has written over 60 books on gardening -
around 2.5 million copies in circulation.  He talked on Monet's gardens.
I loved the talk but as much from an artist point of view as a
gardeners.  I even bought both books. He talked about using white in
small pieces instead of a huge clump.  He said a big clump looks like a
hole where small pieces add to the brightness of the overall picture.
He had a picture of purple iris, lavender iris and a very few white iris
that was beautiful.  Monet had the most labor intensive gardens. He told
how Monet didn't pay any of his  gardeners. They were allowed to take
the excess cuttings and plants to the local farmer's markets and flower
shops to sell. That became their wages. The slide show alone was worth
the drive home in the rain.

  He told that if you are ever able to go to Monet's gardens you should
write for a pass to be able to go on a Monday.  Artist and
photographers are granted a pass if you write ahead and ask. Since there
are over 600,000 visitors a year it is great to go on Mondays when very
few are  there.

He talked about the use of Hot colors and Cool colors like you do in a
painting ... the hot colors up front and the cool color in the distance
to fool the eye into thinking the garden is much further away.  He said
he used the straight beds with the walking paths beside them to show
again as in a painting.   He loved single petal flowers for the
quality of them.  He loved to have flowers not only low but high up to
draw the eye up.  Monet loved lace and tried to use flowering vines to
look like lace on the trellis. He hated variegated plants ... thought
they looked sick.

I loved this quote:
Hybrids give the garden drama!
Reseeders give the garden soul!

He told of the Americana Rose bred by Pyle from America.  He talked like
it is one of the best roses but you can't find it anywhere today.

He was a great speaker telling great stories from his travels to Monet's
gardens.  He told of how the gardens were restored and how Monet's step
daughter Blanche loved the gardens.  It was she that kept the house,
paintings and gardens from being destroyed during the war.  I did take
notes and there are several more  and I could go on and on but I think
you can tell I loved it all. I hated to leave... knowing it will be
another year before it is time to go again. For those of you that live
close to Buck county Pennsylvania Fell invited everyone to his own
gardens in Pennsylvania which are open to the public on some of the
major  holidays.

zone 6b
where it is raining but turning to ice...  30 degrees right now.