From: cathy carpenter [mailto: cathyc@rnet.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:13:19 -0600
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Iraq/ VA hospitals

So many suffer because unthinking/ignorant people promulgate false
that <br>might downsize or close health care facilities. I had the less
than <br>enviable task of explaining this to those whose health care
facilities <br>were being closed in the mid Atlantic states. Not
fun.<br>Cathy<br>On Thursday, February 5, 2004, at 04:20 AM, Melody
wrote:<br><br>> Cathy: My dad's 100% disability was service
connected...a gunshot wound<br>> to the knee in WWII, another gunshot
wound to the same knee in Korea,<br>> and a broken neck/back falling off
an upper deck onto a flight deck of <br>> a<br>> carrier...and although
he did get priority service over non-service<br>> connected vets, it may
have amounted to the difference between sit down<br>> and wait for 3
hrs. instead of 6...and admission into an inpatient bed<br>> ahead of
non-service connected vets. What really torqued me though is<br>> that
he lived his whole life believing that my mom would get a widow's<br>>
pension when he died...completely unaware of the fact that the
benefit<br>> had changed to include the stipulation that the vet must
have died as a<br>> direct consequence of the service connected
disability...he died of<br>> lung/bone cancer and therefore my mother
got not one dime and at age 66<br>> had to return to work after caring
Melody, IA (Z 5/4)<br>><br>> "The most beautiful thing we can experience
is the mysterious."<br>> --Albert

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com