From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Happy Birthday!
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:56:52 -0500

Jesse,
To be honest, I bet you'd agree that there is a certain warmth in "doing"
for your family. You WANT to do things for them because you love them.
Problem is, you overdid it, and now you've got to bring some balance back to
the household. They need to learn the value of doing for the people they
love, too.

For the 7 or 8 years I was with my husband, I enjoyed doing things for him.
But over time, he abused this.  We sort of had an agreement that I'd take
care of the household and when we went out, he'd pay.  I knew I had the
short end of the stick, but didn't mind and I really did enjoy doing for
him......  But if we went out, he'd give me a hard time over ordering a
second drink.  And then he just preferred going out alone.  And if I didn't
cook, that was ok, he'd go out to eat - but wouldn't take me.  Eventually I
took a stand and told him he'd have to do his own laundry, cooking, etc -
or - he could resume his end of the bargain.  He refused.  I clearly
remember, as we drove to my sister's house one day about 6 weeks into this
stalemate, he got very upset and accused me of not loving him anymore
because I wouldn't do these things for him.  I explained that I genuinely
missed doing these things for him, but I'm not a doormat.  He never did
understand.

Kitty