Re: early arrivals - tree peonies

That's what I'd do, just keep the soil damp, not wet. If you can find some of that fungus stuff and mix it in the soil, that might be a good idea, too. Seems to me if they develop a good root system before the weather warms, they might indeed be salable this year. My other thought is that unless you're set up with those big halogen lights, must indoor growth on outdoor plants tends to be kinda straggly and doesn't harden off very well once it's outdoors.

On Saturday, February 7, 2004, at 02:01 PM, Kitty wrote:

Thanks, Jim. There are no hair roots, just the thick fleshy ones, so I was
fearful of them being too warm and putting out new top growth before the
roots have a chance to catch up. But then I wasn't sure about the roots in
such cool soil - could they rot? I suppose I should keep the soil minimally
moist? Should they be given the southfacing window in the garage?

Kitty
----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] early arrivals - tree peonies

May I vote?

I'm for choice A, pot up and leave in cool garage. Might start some
root growth, which is all you want anyway.

On Saturday, February 7, 2004, at 11:59 AM, Kitty wrote:

I received 5 bareroot tree peonies yesterday, a bit early for Zone 5.
I'm
trying to decide the best course of action....

Pot up, but keep in cool garage
Pot up, bring in house to get an early start
Leave bareroot for now and pot up in April
any other suggestions?

These plants will be for sale at MG plant sale, but I had planned to
grow
them on for a year first as I expected them to be smaller. They have
10 inches of wood and have already begun to sprout. They also have 8
to 12
inches of thick roots. The cool garage was my initial thought, but,
since
they are already sizeable, I thought the early start indoors might not
be a
bad idea. Is it possible they'd develop enough by mid-June to sell
them?
Any other thoughts?

Kitty

http://www.hort.net/funds/