Re: Happy Birthday!

When I was a single mother...and BROKE...my three children new what a budget was...I bought enough groceries for the week...if they ate more than the "allotted" share for school lunches, then they didn't get a juice box or cookies on Friday. They were doing laundry, vacuuming, helping with dishes, mowing and all that. It's that "magical" number....around 15 or 16 where they THINK they are helping you, but not without major attitude and rolling of eyes, and they do a half-assed job and don't "get it" when I tell them to do it again, only BETTER this time. Yours are still young. I'll bet money on it when they get older you'll see that change in them. It's just part of being a teenager. They are also at that age where they push you to the limit. Curfew for the 15 year olds is 11:00 on Friday/Saturday (football games, basketball games, school dances). The other night...they dragged home at almost 1:00 a.m. At 7:00 a.m I had their butts up and said, "if you keep me up till 1:00 worrying, then you get to get up early, feed ALL the animals and help around the house...and there will be NO naps today!" They were in bed that night at 8:30. And grounded. It's just part of raising a houseful of teenagers. I was prepared. When I married DH, his first two children were 15 and 17. It was baptism by fire for me. You're supposed to "gradually grow into the teen years". Well, I didn't get to do that. They were awful. But now...I love being around them.

From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Happy Birthday!
Date: Sat,  7 Feb 2004 19:32:17 -0500 (EST)

Jesse: Just another tip...you might try the "If I'm cleaning then
everybody is cleaning" routine, too...meaning no one goes anywhere or
does anything, not even talk on the phone, until and unless what needs
to be done around the house gets done...with a group effort. You might
also want to tell your kids that at half their ages, my 3 already know
how to use all the major household appliances (dishwasher, washing
machine, dryer, microwave, vacuum, stove/oven) and use them on a routine
(i.e. daily/weekly) basis...I gave up being a martyr mom a long time
ago, too...course I must admit, that if I want the kids' rooms to be
**really** clean...that's a whole other experience so I've learned to
lower my standards a little when it comes to how the kids clean their
own rooms. Good luck with your strike...and hang in...children and
husbands are capable of learning new tricks!

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein