Re: Royal Paulownia

In a message dated 02/12/2004 7:22:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Cersgarden@aol.com writes:

> An ex-neighbor, now living in Pennsylvania, sent an email asking what I
> thought about Royal Paulownia tree.  I did a search and from what I gather
> this is
> a fast growing, invasive tree but has desirable wood used in fine
> woodworking
> projects. I haven't chkd Dirrs book.
>   Do any of you know of this tree and its attributes?

I know it is a handsome tree with beautiful purple flowers that look like
upside-down wisterias.  There are a lot of them in a square in Philadelphia -
can't remember the name, but saw them there once.  They do grow this far up, and
I have heard that they are invasive, but only know a couple in this area, and
those are quite old trees, so they can't be too invasive in this area.  Don't
have any really scientific information - just what I have observed.  Auralie