Re: mahonia/deer

Libby, of all the Mahonias, bealei seems, for me, to withstand
winter, summer and everything in between best.  Mine came gratis -
self sown in the woods by birds and dug up and moved...I cherish
every one I can get my paws on.  They will grow from seedling to
about 30" in about 3 years, then they sort of slow down a bit but
eventually can get pretty large.

I've also gotten seedling size at plant exchange - I grab them as
fast as I can:-)

Some east coast mail order nurseries that list M. bealei - I have no
experience ordering from them unless noted - anybody else know them?:

Elk Mountain Nursery, Asheville, NC
http://www.elk-mountain.com/

Rare Find Nursery, NJ listed it last fall; probably have it this year
as well
http://www.rarefindnursery.com/

Their site was temp. unavailable when I went to check but you could
email the owner, Hank Schannen  hank6666@optonline.net to see if they
have any.  He's on the rhodo list I'm on as that is their specialty.

Fantastic Plants.com, TN,  has a hybrid, M. bealei x media Winter
Sun that got an AGM from the RHS; might be interesting.
http://www.fantasticplants.com/

If you ever get down this way, I bet Behnke Nursery would have it;
would call first - they are not mailorder, but about the best nursery
in the DC area.

http://behnke.com/home.html

Hope this helps.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Libby Valentine <L_Valentine@adelphia.net>
>
> Pam & Marge,
>
> I had a chance to look these up this morning - they look great, and
what a
> range of site requirements and sizes they cover!  A mahonia for any
spot,
> practically, and if they grow for Marge they should survive here if
I choose
> properly.  My better local nursery (Carroll Gardens) carries only 2
and they
> are both little ones, as in short mature height.  Have you gotten
any
> through the mail, and if so, from whom?
>
> This is the 4th winter the poor hollies have been stripped clean.
They've