Re: Battling Bambie

Marge, I just read your article on the above subject.  Thanks for the lists
of plants Bambi might be less apt to munch. Living on an open acre in a
historic zoning district I have no hope to put up deer fencing; however; my baby
trees are "encapsulated" in chicken wire tubes, which looks pretty strange.  I
haven't a clue what I'll do as they grow because there are a few dozen deer that
enjoy dining by moonlight in my yard every night.  Lucky for me I do have a
fenced in area directly behind my house, and that's where I plant the real
delicacies, i.e. hostas and astilbes.  The poor roses, on the other hand, are kept
pruned.  The deer do not like the Chestnut rose or the Rugosas, but they adore
rosebud salad from all the other varieties I have. One friend of mine, who
lives in the woods, has taken to placing troughs of corn around the periphery of
her vegetable garden.  She says it has been working -- so far.

zone 7
West TN