Re: headcount - list census

For what it's worth, my Alabamy mammy called cuttings "slips." But it's not clear to me from your post, Kitty, what T&M meant. Cuttings? Rooted cuttings? Seedlings of a certain maturity? Please explain. Many nurseries in Florida and SoCal have long sold rooted cuttings to the trade. Seems to me the advent of the internet makes this an opportunity product sell on the net. Or on eBay--"10 slips, mix or match, from the following list, $25.00 pp". With my cutting boxes and mist system, I could do that myself.

On Monday, February 14, 2005, at 03:45 PM, kmrsy@comcast.net wrote:

That's really nice. I saw a similar thing in a British video I got from
T&M. You can order 'slips' of ornamentals by mailorder. I'd love it if
someone came up with that on this side of the pond. I just didn't know
they had a special name for them.

--
Kitty
neIN, Zone5

At some of the local hardware stores, you can purchase onion, cabbage
family, and beet "slips" or seedlings. I like them because I don't have a
good place to raise seedlings and if I plant seeds, we can have a hard
frost that might kill them.

[Original Message]
Date: 2/14/2005 2:48:11 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] headcount - list census

Bonnie, what are slips?

-- Kitty
neIN, Zone5

Hi, I started serious gardening when I decided I wanted floral
arrangements throughout the year. I took a 10 session course on
planting
with natives while still working and began to add interesting natives.
After retirement, I was able to take the Master Gardeners course in
2003.

I think the confusion about what MG means in TN is due to the fact that
it has not been organized state-wide until just recently. The payback
the Extension Agents wasn't emphasized because they were more focused
on
the numbers educated rather than what the education produced. Also,
most
agents concentrated on farming. We now have a state-wide coordinator
and
emphasis is more on consistency and helping the agents.

I volunteer at the Trial Gardens at UT. Although my main interest is
natives
and herbs, I also enjoy well-behaved immigrants.

It is interesting to have representatives from throughout the state.
The eco
systems in each area can be vastly different.

The weather seems to be changing throughout all our regions. I have
daffodils blooming and a little candy tuft here and there...AND, my
winter broccoli bolted!!! I need to get my spring garden started and
usually use slips but none of the local spots have their supplies yet.
I'm afraid before they do my garden plants will be timed to bolt again
instead of produce.

Bonnie ETN Zone 7

Island Jim
Southwest Florida