Re: daylilly question was: head count

In a message dated 02/19/2005 9:26:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Chris@widom-assoc.com writes:
I ordered BIG SMILE from Van Bourgondien and received a tiny skinny off
shoot that had no chance of blooming for two years!  I complained and
received a single fan the next year!  It bloomed low in the foliage and had
hardly any buds, but it was a young plant. I only order lilies, bulbs, and
an occasional dahlia, from them now.
Please don't waste your money at Van Bourgondien.  I stopped
ordering from them several years ago because of the poor
quality of their plants, but this year the State Garden Club
Federation had a deal with them to get a percentage of all
orders from affiliated clubs.  Of course this was just a deal to
get hold of the state mailing list, but the State has made such
deals in the past that have brought in a nice bit of cash with
little trouble on their part.  Well, our small club, in loyalty to
the state, put together quite a nice order.  What a disaster!
The bulbs came in one package at a time until late November -
way past planting time.  Some have not come yet.  Some of
the daffodil bulbs were totally rotten when delivered.  When we
called to complain,  we were given quite a runaround.  Still haven't
gotten reimbursement for the missing and rotten bulbs.  Just
confirmed my negative opinion of that company.
Auralie