Buddha's habd

This is the time of year most, if not all, citrus trees bloom and set next year's fruit. Our Buddha's hand is no exception. It got off to a really rocky start [there was a time when we thought it was tapiola], but it has now settled in and shows substantial interest in growing. In addition, it's loaded with blooms--maybe a dozen of which have already set fruit. How many of those babies last to maturity is another question. The tree looks very healthy, so there is some hope that several will stay the course.

On another front, out Barbados cherry--which is in an exposed location--was badly scalded by our three 32 degree nights this winter, is now breaking out in new leaf and, surprise, flower buds. So it looks like it's going to be okay.

Now if the grafting tape and the caliper would just get here, the mad scientist begin creating superlative avocados and loquats. HAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10