From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Marge Talt
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:31 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Ilex opaca

Other than soil pH, the only other reason that comes to mind is that the
evergreen forms do not like being exposed to harsh winter winds.
In prairie states, without good windbreak protection, it's unlikely that
they'd do well even if cold hardy.  Even here in z6b-7a, they will suffer in
winter wind.  One wholesale nursery about 20 miles north of me lost their
entire crop of 'Nellie Stevens' during one bad winter here - all planted out
in a field exposed to what winter gave; owner said he wasn't gonna grow them

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Plant Exchange