To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:31 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Ilex opaca

Other than soil pH, the only other reason that comes to mind is that
the evergreen forms do not like being exposed to harsh winter winds.
In prairie states, without good windbreak protection, it's unlikely
that they'd do well even if cold hardy.  Even here in z6b-7a, they
will suffer in winter wind.  One wholesale nursery about 20 miles
north of me lost their entire crop of 'Nellie Stevens' during one bad
winter here - all planted out in a field exposed to what winter gave;
owner said he wasn't gonna grow them again:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Plant Exchange

----------
From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>

I think most hollies like at least somewhat acid soil, which we can
do some
adjusting for.  But from the listings it looks like for some it's a
must
while for others it's not such a big deal.  And the acid soil
requirement
certainly doesn't stop our local nurseries from offering Rhodies.
Ilex x
meserveae varieties are always available here.  They're pretty
hardy.  But I
don't think I often see much else. I used to think it was because
most of
them were more Zone 6 or 7.  Many are, but since I've been
searching
recently, I've found there's lots of varieties that can handle Zone
5.  I
don't know why the nurseries don't have them.