Re: Ilex opaca

> From: Chris@widom-assoc.com
> Not Marge, but my  Ilex x meserveae all grow in mostly to full
shade.  Mine
> are 20 years old.  I never pruned them much until a few years ago.
> were getting way too tall and broad for me to handle, so I had a
helper that
> I hired for a day cut them way back (at least 1/3). They never
sowed any
> sign of stress.  Some of mine receive some sun in late afternoon
and are on
> the NW side of the house and garage, so they are somewhat

That is MOST interesting, Chris.  Do they have a tight form or are
they open from the shade?  I keep looking for a holly that stays
compact in shade.

Most holly can take very hard pruning.  You can hat rack them.  I did
that to some old Burfords and while they looked pretty awful for a
season, they filled out just fine.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs