Re: snow, photography

Hi, Chris. I ditto what the other Chris wrote.

I take a lot of pictures of tropical and subtropical fruits as well as flowers. I post them on Dave's Garden. Dave's Garden reduces their size, adds a copyright notice to them, and does whatever is necessary and sufficient for search engines to find them. The photos at Dave's are not suitable for publication--small size, copyright notice in visually awkward spot--so if someone wants to use your pictures, they have to contact you directly for a better copy.

Here--Florida--lots of small town papers commit lots of ink to subtropical fruits and vegetables, so it is important to me to sell one-time-only rights to a picture. Case in point: early last year, a weekly paper out of Fort Myers used my picture of Okinawan spinach [a very colorful plant, incidentally, purple and several shades of green] in a story on subtropical veggies. Since small town weeklies feed off each other, three other papers bought either the same picture or similar [same series] pictures.

As far as pricing, I think you've got to think like a used-car dealer. Weekly papers are not going to pay very much, maybe $10-$15 per shot, depending on your picture and their other options. As the class of the publication goes up, so should the fee. When I was approached by an author pitching a tropical fruit to a publisher, I asked "How many of the pictures will be mine?" When she said, about a fourth, I told her I wanted a piece of the royalty. She is still negotiating that book deal. Be nice for me if she gets it, if not, c'est la vie.

And, before I forget it, payment should always include two copies of the pub.