Re: plant ID/ gardening

I can't remember ever NOT gardening.  I remember gardening with my
grandparents in their vegy garden as young as 3 (my first introduction to the  potato
bug...not pleasant).  Going to the nursery with my mom every spring  to pick
out new plants.  I had a cacti collection on my window sill for  as far back as
I can remember.  When I moved to the States and  went to college in El Paso,
Texas, I had plants in my window and in my  room.  Then in an appartment I had
plants all over the balcony, windows,  etc.  Even rented a UHaul truck to
transport plants to California when we  moved there, and back to Texas.   I have
gotten involved in a lot more  specific types of plants and diversity since
living here in Houston  though.
I belong to several plant societies, so a lot of my  friends definitely have
much more knowledge than I in certain fields.   We all balance each other out
with different experiences and "expertise" (for  lack of a better word).   I
do belong to other  non-hortic.  groups where friends garden, but not at the
same level, and I actually shy away  from in depth conversation about plants,
welcoming conversations about other  things for a change.   Too much of any one
thing makes me  burn out....I like diversity in my garden as well as life.
For this  reason, I'll never be as knowledgeable about any one thing as those
that  specialize........however, I enjoy it all and cannot even fathom not
having  plants in my life or gardening.
I disagree that gardening is boring or slow, although things slow down a  bit
at times (less in longer growing zones), this actually re-energizes a
person, I feel.   Personally, I don't think a day goes by that there  isn't
something new to see in a garden, regardless of season.  My all time  favorite thing
to do every morning is to do a "walk about"(as I call it,  LOL).  There is
always something new, be it a bloom, new growth, a  chyrsalis, egg, bird,
something...anything of interest, and there always  is.  I just love it.  And even
though we don't have distinct seasons  like other zones, nature still has it's
way of showing the seasonal surprises.
My mom is the same way......she is in her 80th year and lives in a huge
house with a huge yard that she does everything herself.  She often  complains
that it is just too much, but she loves it......and I just know that  she would
simply shrivel up if she didn't have her vegy garden, ponds, pool,
etc.....although her grass area does get smaller and smaller every  year.   Mowing being
her least favorite thing to do...yet she insists  on doing that herself too.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 2/15/2006 7:44:21 AM Central Standard Time,