RE: gardening beginning (was Plant ID?)

I had a vegetable garden - of sorts - when I was in my teens. Previous to
that only a few houseplants in my room. My grandmother did a lot of
puttering in her garden in Fallbrook CA; but it wasn't real big. She had
these enormous old oak trees that you couldn't really grow anything
underneath. In the sunny spots were some roses. I remember california
poppies, and she had this huge huge rosemary not too far from the kitchen
porch. You could sit out there and listen to the bees drone as they worked
the rosemary flowers.
My mother would plant a few annuals plus the occasional rose bush, but not
much else. Really it was too bad, because in So Cal you can do some amazing
stuff. I really regret not having that climate to work in now. I remember
sitting on the patio Christmas day in the sun, looking at the blooming
roses. Couldn't do that every year but it happened more than once. And my
mom's dwarf Meyer lemon, she was pretty proud of that, I am still trying to
get one to grow in a pot. I'm on my third tree so far.
I don't remember what started me on it, but I remember digging up the lawn
in a corner of the yard for my veggies. I planted broccoli, artichokes,
zucchini and I think tomatoes. Something like one plant of each. Snails ate
the broccoli seedling, the artichoke buds were infested with aphids, I don't
remember what happened to the tomatoes - but the zucchini grew. I had read
that you were supposed to let the squash grow until the blossom fell off.
Well you can imagine how big those zucchinis were! I was actually proud of
it, I didn't know any better.
Wasn't until years later after I married and we bought a house I tried
vegetable gardening again. My first little one was a success and I kept
growing just a few more things. It was about then that I discovered Usenet
and all the other mailing lists you could join, suddenly I had a lot of
people to talk gardening with. That was also the genesis of the catalog site
too. And that led to wanting more ornamental plants instead of lawn & trees.

So when we moved to our present house, which had these huge lawns front and
back, I ripped out most of the front lawn for my cottage garden (well,
actually, husband ripped it out with a sod cutter).  No, I guess the first
thing we did was plan the vegetable garden and chicken coop. It was a year
or so before we started the rest of it.
I think there are a couple gardening clubs around here, maybe. Seems like
I've seen something for an iris society - they met on a weekday afternoon.
Obviously those are not working people. There's a couple names that show up
consistently in the vegetable competitions at the local fair, but the
entries are getting fewer.
I've taken various classes at the community college; the one on fruit
production was the best. I liked the landscape design too although I don't
think I absorbed too many of its lessons! Maybe I should try again.

Cyndi