Re: Lotus qstn

Could be Nelumbo lutea, the native. I just ran down seeds for a woman in Turkey. If so, I'll go look again, but no promises until fall.

On Feb 19, 2006, at 4:32 PM, Kitty wrote:

One of our MG gardens has asked me to get Lotus nelumbo for their their barrels. Didn't give a common name. Would I be correct in thinking they want Nelumbo nucifera, Sacred Lotus? I can't ask them, they don't know. Also - they plan to put these in half whiskey barrels which in the past they planted with Impatiens. They plan to plant one Agastache 'Tutti Fruiti', 3 Helichrysum 'Limelight', and 3 of these lotus in each barrel. I'm not really grasping the concept. The lotus is a water plant, the other two like dryish soil. I asked her if she was inserting something in the barrel to hol the water plant, but she dodged the question. I mentioned this to the Hort Ed and he says one lotus will be plenty, they get huge.

Any thoughts on all of this?

neIN, Zone 5

Island Jim
Southwest Florida