Re: PNW show/ trends

I marvel at anyone that has a watergarden in cold climates.  THere is  a lot
more maintenance there, from what I hear, than here.    Watergardens here
don't freeze, so don't have to be shut  down, plants  overwintered indoors, or use
de-icers etc. for the fish.  We don't have any  "annuals" here for
watergardens that need replacing every year at high  prices.......those plants are
perennial here.  Fish and turtles survive  without problems.  In fact some of the
tropical waterlilies continue  to bloom through most winters.

 I have seen a definite rise in watergardening here in Texas.   When we moved
here there was only one Watergarden nursery, Lilypons, now there  are several
all over different parts of the city.  Even the regular  nurseries are
carrying watergarden plants and supplies now.  Lilypons has  since been put out of
business down here and shut down their nursery and growing  facilities......but
the others are thriving.  Big box stores have always  carried watergarden
supplies around here.

There used to be only one Koi society here in Houston, now there are at
least two and a Watergarden society also.  There is also a huge swap once a  year
at Mercer Arboretum for nothing but pond plants.  San Antonio didn't  have any
societies, they now too have several and a large watergarden nursery  that
hosts annual Koi and Goldfish shows.  Waco has had a great Pond  society for
years, even online.  Austin has held annual pond shows for many  years, which has
increased sales and interest there as well.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 2/19/2006 11:02:43 PM Central Standard Time,