Re: Oleander

Hum- I've never seen a hummer or butterfly in oleander here. Maybe there are just alot better things here for them. I'm never stuck my nose in oleander either. When they are blooming her in summer (they are everywhere including highway medians) the smell is just nasty to me. But you are right, they are unkillable.

Theresa

TeichFlora@aol.com wrote:

Hm...I've never had a bad smell on my Oleander, at least not that I noticed from a normal distance. Never stuck my nose on a bloom though, not yet. I really love the bottlebrush blooms too, but they only bloom in the spring, where as the Oleander, at least here, blooms pretty much all year through. Granted it is an overly used landscape plant, but it is definitely low maintenance, and does well in droughts as well as floods. Birds love to hid in the evergreen foliage year round, and the hummers and butterflies love the flowers.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast