From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 12:57 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Vet news

I made an appointment with the vet for this Friday because Mick has lost
weight and has thrown up what looked like blood a few times. He very
accommodatingly urped on the linoleum yesterday rather than the carpet so I
scooped it into a jar and ran it over to the vet this morning before work.
He said "bring him in now."

He has heartworm in his intestinal tract. I vaccinate these cats for
everything possible but thought heartworm was a pretty slim chance.
Fortunately, I had misunderstood the vet in believing heartworm is fatal for
cats. He says it's fatal if they treat it; the treatment kills the cat.
Instead they have a different course available, though it still sounds like
"treatment" to me. He'll get a shot of corticasteroids each month for
several months and then every other month until the worms die off. And then
he should be back to normal. So in June they are all going on a heartworm
preventative.

Here's a picture of my Mick:

http://hort.net/+137n

--