It's quiet...toooo quiet

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: It's quiet...toooo quiet
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 13:15:31 -0800

Are most of you buried under the increasing feet of snow I'm hearing
about on the news? I cannot imagine what it would be like to have 100
inches of snow fall. What do people do about all the snow on their
roofs? What's the ground like when all that melts?
Grey and cloudy here today again, but it's 70 degrees. Our big rain
forecast for Sunday has dwindled to chance of showers tomorrow. With my
luck it will rain on Saturday, because I'm committed on Sunday to a
party and that will mean I don't get to do anything outside again. Of
course there's always the greenhouse, I do need to plant my tomato
seeds. I'm still trying to decide how many plants I'll put in; the
dismal showing last year makes me reluctant to use up too much room in
case it happens again. I only have 15 jars of sauce left in the pantry
though so I sure hope I get good production this time.  (Funny, isn't
it, no one would buy 15 jars of sauce at the store, but when it's my own
production I feel like I have so little)
Here's a bulb question for you. I've noticed in several catalogs now
that Erlicheer daffodils are being touted as blooming in the summer.
I've grown Erlicheer for 20 plus years and in my garden, it blooms a
good two or three weeks earlier in the spring than other daffodils (I
figured that was why the name). My friend has some and they bloom at the
same time as mine. Old House Gardens catalog doesn't say anything about
it blooming in summer. So...what's the deal?