Rain again

  • Subject: Rain again
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 09:40:10 -0800

I must be getting really desertified. I know we need the rain, but I'm
thinking there has to be a better way than having it fall from the sky
and get everything muddy. I don't know how you folks in wetter climates
manage. Oh wait, I know, you don't get your entire year's worth of rain
in one month, and you have these interesting features in your landscape
called streams and rivers and lakes that take care of the excess.
You may have gathered that we spent another rainy weekend here in So
Cal.  While it was merely cloudy I managed to rake up about half a trash
can of dead leaves on Saturday, but then the horseshoer arrived.  He did
get almost done before the skies opened up again tho he was nailing on
the last shoe in a downpour. I would have put him under cover in the
horse stall, except the path to get to it is under six inches of water
and under that is quicksand.  And y'know, you'd think horses would get
cleaner standing out in the rain but no. Apparently it does not rain
enough to actually wash away the dirt, it only raises it to the surface,
and when it dries up a little they are itchy so they go out and roll.
I let the sheep out of their pens on Sunday to graze on the grass
starting to sprout and get them out of their mud puddle.  One ewe showed
her appreciation by promptly giving birth to twins.  At least it wasn't
raining on them at the time. One more to go, it's gotta be this week,
hopefully all will go well.
I have California poppies blooming in the (not very) dry garden. At
least they would be blooming if the sun would ever come out, so far all
I've seen is the furled flowers. The white-flowered currant is blooming
heavily too. I went to check it out and a very busy hummingbird
completely ignored me while she worked the blossoms, I think it's the
closest I've ever been to one.