Re: Satisfaction
  • Subject: Re: Satisfaction
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 11:41:52 -0500

When I first began to garden, I planted english ivy. I even propagated it and sold it. Planted it for a friend. I eventually realized the error of my ways and have gotten rid of most of it, but a little is ok in certain places. If I forget to pay attention and find it has climbed a tree.... NEVER just pull it off. You will take the tree bark with it. Just sever it at the base and let it wither, die, and fall off, just as you did. Some will hang on but when it is totally dead, it is possible to pull it down without taking all the tree bark with it. However, it's going to grow back from roots that go 3 feet deep unless you take further action. I have had some english ivy die during one very severe winter, but generally it always comes back. The main batch of it that I continually fight is what my northern neighbor has planted. Ivy travels south and it keeps coming under the fence. I let it go awhile but every once in awhile I have to go on the attack with it.

neIN, Zone 5