RE: What is wrong
  • Subject: RE: What is wrong
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:15:35 -0500

Hang on all, better weather is coming!
Last week in this bit of So Cal it was our usual false spring with temps
in the 70s. I rototilled almost the entire veggie garden last Saturday -
two plots of 15'x 45' - that was fun. Got a couple of nice blisters from
my death grip on the rototiller and turned up way too many June bug
larva, but the chickens really liked that. I planted my onions and peas.
This year I am growing Candy onions, they did great for me the year
before last, and trying Texas Sweet onions for fun. I sowed Oregon Giant
snow peas and Sugar Sprint snap peas. My tomatoes and peppers are
sprouting in the greenhouse. We also planted the 4 bare-root fruit trees
I got via mail-order. I replaced two dead peach trees and also got a
pomegranate and a pear, haven't grown either of those before.
We left for Arizona on Monday and spent a few days riding in the desert.
Oh it was green out there! They must have had good rain too because
there is a fuzz of green everywhere. The ocotillo are all leafed out,
the palo verde and mesquite are almost there. No flowers to speak of
yet, we saw a couple ocotillos blooming and one lonely California poppy
which my horse tried to step on but missed. I'd like to try growing
ocotillo again in my dry garden, I had one but it died in the Big Freeze
a few years ago.
Today is very windy and we are supposed to get a little rain. One of our
apricot trees is in bloom, I think it's jumped the gun a bit. A few
daffodils are blooming and there are fat buds on many more, but some are
barely up so I'm hoping for a long bloom season. I am volunteering at a
horse event Saturday but if the weather is at all decent on Sunday I'll
be out weeding.