From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of CBRIAN
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 1:19 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Bloodroot... WOW

<The clumps are literally covered with flowers, some reaching 3.25
inches in diameter.>

WOW  . . . more than three inches. Sounds like a must have.

 I am growing the fully double beautiful bloodroot variety that was
almost lost to cultivation. This mutation was discovered in Dayton, Ohio
in 1916. It differed from our native variety in that it is sterile; it
can have sixty long lasting petals rather than the eight or twelve
flighty ones of the native variety; it has larger leaves and rhizomes;
and it cannot survive without regular division. If left alone, it crowds
to the surface where it dries and dies. This was the fate of the
discoverer's colony after his death in 1966. A rhizome had been given to
the famed plant hunter,  E.H. Wilson who named it 'Sanguinaria
canadensis variety multiplex' to distinguish it from the fourteen to
sixteen petalled variety, 'flore- pleno' but it apparently suffered a
similar fate after Wilson's tragic death. Another rhizome was given to
Henry Teuscher, the director emeritus of the Montreal Botanical Garden,
who generously propagated it and shared it with gardeners around the
world, ensuring its survival.

To me, the survival of this beautiful bloodroot mutation not only
underlines the importance of keen botanical observation but also the
importance of sharing our horticultural treasures.

Does anybody grow the 'flore pleno ' variety?  Can it and  the 'TN'
variety produce seed or are they sterile as well?

Brian Carson  Zn5a