Re: terms

So what do they call perennials that only produce foliage and blooms
every other year? A few years back, I was astounded to find a huge
rhizome of what turned out to be a hollyhock buried in my back yard
underneath grass that had been being mowed for years on end...I dug it
up and transplanted it to my garden...it was easily well over a foot
long and several inches thick. Now, safe from being mowed down, it lives
on but it only comes up every other year, blooms like mad and seeds
itself every where but the next year it is no where to be seen...Is this
thing just a freak of nature or do other plants have a growth pattern
similar to this?

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein

On Wed 01/08, Kitty wrote:From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@earthlink.net]To:
gardenchat@hort.netDate: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:38:58 -0800Subject: Re:
[CHAT] termsClaire, Thanks. Personally, I find Biennial less confusing.
I did a little morelooking around and found this at Papa Geno's:"...Then
there is the confusion about the terms "Annual," "Biennial"(sometimes
written as "Bi-Annual"), and "Perennial