Re: cimicifuga (aka black snakeroot)

In a message dated 1/15/03 11:47:18 PM, mhobertm@excite.com writes:

<< .Does anyone grow this plant and/or know much about
it? Just how unpleasantly scented is it?

Melody, I have a couple of varieties in my garden and have never experienced
an unpleasant smell.  I have tried 'Brunette' twice and lost it twice and
this is the most expensive in our area.  I have had 'The Pearl' for a number
of years and divided it this fall so will be eager to see how it does.
Gene's article states this does not transplant well.  The other interesting
item I found in his article was this does not bloom till mid Oct.  Mine
blooms long before this.  I am very fond of this plant.  As Gene states this
is a plant that is slow to mature.  I have  'Atropurpurea' for a couple of
years, it does bloom but does not have much volume yet.  This is definitely a
plant I would want in a garden.