Re: cimicifuga (aka black snakeroot)

You have been lucky in your selections thus far, Ceres.
    Had you picked the C. racemosa you would have noticed nothing unless you
got very close to the blooms on a warm day. Then you would have smelled a
somewhat unpleasant odor. With 'The Pearl" and "Atropurpurea" you should be
getting something like a wave of honey and spices.... on warm days. Very
nice. These plants are slow to bulk up... thus the price in may cases. I
hold my tissue culture plants and grow them on for 2 to 3 years before
listing them in the catalog. Outside of a nursery container they do not have
a good chance of surviving when small. Look for good sized plants with a
good root system. Also dig in plenty of compost before transplanting and
then keep mulched. They do like the moisture... especially just as they come
into bloom... and bloom time is in summer and early fall when it gets driest
    Well worth keeping an eye on. Wonderful foliage, great blooms, for the
summer and fall garden.
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana