From: Pamela J. Evans [mailto: gardenqueen@gbronline.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:51:14 -0600
Subject: [CHAT] fat birdies

On a different note (ha) I just thought I'd share a bird feeding
observation. I've always fed the regular wild bird seed mixed half and
half w/ black oil sunflower seeds, and the birdies have thrived on this
for years. This year, I added a thistle/niger seed feeder for the
finches (most of the purple coneflower heads are picked clean by now)
and have started using that no-waste bird seed (from Gardens Alive). Not
cheap, but holy cow are the birdies LOVING it. One of my robins is so
fat, he can barely hop. He's too cute. And all my cardinals are fatter
than ever. Sometimes I mix the high dollar food w/ the regular bird seed
too (when I'm waiting for a delivery) but it's OK w/ the birdies. Quite
cold here and getting colder by the minute. Sugar is at my feet and only
stayed out about 90 seconds when I let her out on her tether today. My
mourning doves are just waddling. That makes me happy because I know
they will weather the cold snap (20 degrees below normal for the next
three days). And I have shelters for the doves and ground hugging birds
built back under he tree line, short limbs laid out in a box pattern
full of fluffy leaves. Very sheltered and secure.

How do y'all up North keep your biries going in such abominable cold??  Just curious.....

Pam Evans
Kemp TX/zone 8A

The most personalized portal on the Web!</font>