Re: need a plant recomendation

I love Lonicera sempivirens, and I think it would do well for you. Hummingbirds love it, and others like the fruit. However, like the trumpet vine, it will need to be trained up the light pole (neither are "efficient climbers") and both have the potential to grow extremely tall (maybe more than you want for a light pole).
On Sunday, January 4, 2004, at 11:53 AM, Theresa wrote:

This sound like a good fit- I was also considering one of the less invasive
honeysuckle varieties- jsut not sure which these would be.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Pamela J. Evans
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 9:47 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] need a plant recomendation

If you have room, one of the non-invasive trumpet vine (Campsis)
cultivars. I have the 'Flava' which is yellowish and is very well
mannered, does not reseed and is very happy w/ heat and clay soil. Don't
use the species trumpet vine - it's bent on world domination.

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: "Theresa" <tchessie@comcast.net> Reply-To: gardenchat@hort.net Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 07:51:39 -0800

HI all-

For my new pathway-  I need a climbing plant that will climb up the
lightpole at the corner.  Needs to be vigorous and tolerate lousy soil
and gravel). Preferably something that doesn't reseed like crazy, as it
be near my raised bed with wonderful soil in them (and I have an idea that
the only thing that will grow in the native ground would be invasive in the
good soil). It will get irrigation in summer. Oh- it gets some significant
sun and heat from the sidewalk/street. I will put up some type of
wire/fencin around the lightpole to help the plant climb. Any suggestions?

-- Pam Evans Kemp TX/zone 8A