Re: Phoenix, now Boyce Thompson & Harry Leu

Excellent advice. Boyce Thompson Southwest Arboretum is a treasure. There is also a botanical garden down near Tucson that is quite good. Can't remember the name ;>)

Short one and I just returned from a weekend in Orlando. We went up for two reasons. One, to visit the Harry P. Leu Botanical Garden; and, two, to try to find that funny little backwoods nursery where the owner propagates christmas cactus in a wide variety of colors.

We had never been to Leu Garden before, and came away sorry that we hadn't visited it sooner. A very nice botanical garden. Leu loved camellias and collected several thousand cultivars when he owned the property [c. 1936-1986]. And this is their time to bloom, so the place is a riot of flower and color.

But while Mr. Leu vigorously pursued the camellia, Mrs. Leu vigorously pursued the rose. And the rose garden is stunning--and also fully in bloom! The brochure says something about it being the largest formal rose garden in Florida.

The garden also has a wonderful palm collection--lots of palms that I did not think would grow that far north.

On the way home, we followed the trail we thought we remembered taking when we first found the christmas cactus nursery. And, surprisingly, we found it again. It's the Two Star Nursery in Bowling Green, Florida. Don't look for a web site, however! And keep a sharp eye if you're driving through town.

Two Star had christmas cactus in hanging baskets of most known colors. I bought a yellow one and a white one; the short one bought a purple one and hanging basket of deep purple petunias.

In all, it was a good weekend. We even found a sensational Indian restaurant in Orlando.

And, pardon if I seem patronizing, but "heartburn" has nothing to do with "spicy." Heartburn has to do with an inability [or reluctance] of one's body to digest complex proteins. Jalapenos are not complex proteins, although they may cause a discomfiture often called Montezuma's revenge.