From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Marge Talt
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 9:00 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Progress on the garden wall/pea gravel

Actually, Theresa, you could have quite a garden in that pea gravel.
 All kinds of plants that absolutely demand sharp drainage ought to
flourish there.   For some, the gravel is enough; for some you may
need to add sand or some organic material; depends on the plant and
its needs, but there are so many marvelous plants on this planet that
want gravel and really sharp drainage.  What would be suitable for
your climate exactly, I'm not really sure since mine is so different,
but they're out there.  Lordy!  the way things flourish in my gravel
drive, you'd think ALL plants prefer gravel.

This could be your start with "alpine" gardening:-)  Well, not really
"alpine", but rock type gardening.

There's a list longer than my arm of plants who would grow in your
gravel, especially if you can irrigate during their growing
season...lots of plants (particularly those from East Africa) want
dry dormancy but need water during growth.  Sharp drainage doesn't
mean bone dry, actually:-)

Euphorbia ought to love it
Salvia o. (purple leaf and other variegated forms) should do fine
Assorted allium and other bulbs who demand dry summers
Sedum (many)
Sempervivum (once saw a fantastic collection of these growing on top
of a stone wall at Barry Yinger's Asiatica Nursery)
Poppies ought to thrive
South African plants like Delosperma and Diascia

Following are some easy rock garden type plants which I don't grow
because I have not enough sun or they aren't hardy for me:

Lewisia cotyledon
Alyssum saxatile
Aubrieta deltoidea
Ballota pseudodictamnus
Penstemon cardellii
Helianthemum nummularium

Your climate is quite different from mine; don't know how much
different it is from Colorado, but Panayoti Kelaidis, curator of the
Denver Bot. Garden posted the following as growing well there with no
additional irrigation:

These on Montmorillinite clay soil, whatever that is:
bulbs of all description

On pure sand, the following thrive with no additional irrigation:
Ipomoea leptophylla
various Mentzelia spp.,
Mirabilis multiflora,
Amsonia jonesii

Check out the NARGS (North American Rock Garden Society) web site;
lots of info. that might lead you to a fantastic garden on your pea

Hit the link to rock gardening, construction and plant suggestions in
the left nav bar.

Seriously, that gravel could turn out to be the best part of your

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :